Tuesday 18 December 2012

Aside from directing...

I'd love to direct.

Since doing my A-level in Moving Image Arts I've had my sights set on the director's chair, but since starting this HND and taking on a number of different roles, I've thought, maybe direction isn't all I'm interested in...

We had our practical assessmet last week and I was in charge of sound. I'd done sound the week before so I was confident enough in my ability to competently rig the sound and do levels etc. I rigged all talk-back headsets, and just as I was coming to the end, all proud of what I'd done, I realized I'd had them all hooked up to the wrong mic channel... Wonderful! Thankfully that was the only real slip-up and it was resolved quickly. Levels were done and I chose some great music to play over our VT. Sorted!

Sound isn't something I was always interested in, I'd thought it was tedious and I'd never had a lot of enthusiasm. But after watching films like David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Joe Wright's Anna Karenina, where sound is done to perfection, it really inspired me to take more of an interest in this field.

This clip from Anna Karenina demonstrates the wonderful sound that is found throughout the film. As Anna and Vronsky begin to dance, the theatre becomes a vacuum as sound slowly begins to disappear. We hear the swishing of ballgowns, the sumptuous score, and leading up to the lift, we are left with the heavy breathing of the two characters. Stunning.
This scene from David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has amazing sound. We hear the sounds of a bustling Stockholm subway, and it seems to cover everything in this industrial shrieking. We see Salander getting mugged and fighting back, and we can just about hear the sounds of her animalistic screaming and her fist meeting the face of the thief.

I've always loved music, and when I'm editing it's really something I look forward to when I get the chance to pick the best music there is for a scene. Editing is something I love to do aswell, which I feel ties in well with the sound. I love editing to a beat, which I did a lot in my A-level final film, which was a Fincher-inspired thriller with the style of Joe Wright. Editing is mundane when you have no music, but when you add the music in, the whole thing comes together beautifully and you just feel inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment